Monday, February 8, 2010

Carnival In Rio



A couple of years back I saw this quilt for the first time at an exhibition and I stood in front of it for quite some time just drinking in the colours with my eyes. Not only is the vibrant colour compelling, the three dimensional windows within the work are even more fascinating.
Imagine my delight when I stepped back from it and realised it was made by one of my students!
Kathryn Celliers-Louw attended one of my classes at Keen On Crafts in Cape Town in 2006. She went home and proceeded to dye everything she could get her hands on. This quilt is the result of that colourful outburst of inspiration.
She fittingly named it Carnival In Rio.
I am blown away every day by the power of inspiration. It always amazes me when a small seed blossoms into such an astonishing flower. This is by far the best part of my job, seeing what my students get up to with a teaspoon full of my knowledge.
Kathryn lives in Hermanus and teaches ladies in the Cape about quilts and dyeing their own fabrics. She is truly passionate about textiles and she is always inventive in her approach. She is a valuable resource to the local quilting community.
Have a great day in full colour!
Kind regards
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment